Sovereign Hill Tour
Step back into history enjoy Sovereign Hill, a perfectly re-created 1850’s gold fields town. The town comes to life with characters dressed in costumes and who cheerfully entertain with stories, and interact with each other just as in the gold rush days.
Browse stores hand-crafted items and food, all made in Sovereign Hill by local trades people – sweets artisan, jewelers, baker, blacksmith and even a candle-stick maker!
Enjoy a fun ride around Sovereign Hill township in traditional horse-drawn carriages.
Sovereign Hill, an outdoor museum on the site of the Ballarat goldfields, a replica of an 1850’s gold-mining town is a a popular day trip from Melbourne. Your private day tour also travels to to Ballarat, a city built on gold, with stately buildings, private mansions and tiny miner’s cottages.
Sovereign Hill Highlights:
- Panning for gold – visitors get to keep all the gold they find!
- Candle Works – see 19th century candle making machines techniques.
- Gold Smelting Works/Gold Pour – real gold being poured into ingots.
- Wheelwright and Coachbuilder – watch skilled craftsmen repair and assemble carriage hub and spoke wheels.
- The Iron Foundry – lovers of small steam-driven engines see lathes used to spin metal gold pans and household items.
- Underground Gold Mine – experience gold mining from the inside.
- Confectionery Factory – see the making of traditional boiled sweets.
A city of stately buildings, private mansions and tiny miner’s cottages.
The Victorian architecture is a reminder of the city’s golden era of wealth and culture.
Today the city with a population of 100,000 is the third largest city in Victoria.
Ballarat Wildlife Park
See up-close Australian wildlife, pat a koala, feed a kangaroo. See Tasmanian Devils, echidnas and sleepy wombats and here you can smile at a salt-water crocodile.
|Sovereign Hill Tour Details|
|Escorted:||Driver/Guide – all languages|
|Pick-up / Drop-off:||CBD pick-up|